Lazing abed this morning, I turned on the 'TV' to check out the morning's fare....You know....Giselle, maybe some ice-dance, or perhaps, even, some square dancing......or, a great orchestral work for crates and empty liquor bottles, with The Norman Luboff Choir and the Lundberg Organ........This 'linked' scene from "Spectre" was 'playing'......After watching it, and a later scene in which Bond is seated in some torture chair with robotic needles boring into his skull, I thought of all the Bond Films of the past....and that is, of course, all of them.....and reflected on the increasingly vehement violence, Marvel-Superhero 'indestructibility' mentality of them....... Then, checked 'the Guide' to find out if there was any programming featuring the more civilized 'arts'.....dance, "Art Films", seriously intelligent music......well, you get my drift........ There was a couple of dozen 'hard sports' programs, as always...boxing, football, wrestling, martial arts, skiing (with stops for rifle-shooting).....and a dozen hyper-violent 'shows' as well as video game related action films with loads of CGI hyper-violence....... What happened the 'kindler, friendlier Nation" proposal, Mr. Bush? Perhaps "Love is the Devil"...right, Mr. Craig?.. America still feeds, like sharks, on blood and mayhem.. After Bond's hyper-violent episodes, he ....minutes afterwards.....dismissively even.....usually engages in some martini drinking and macho sex...with his female co-star, still running in tight dresses and high heels of always, who...make that 'that', must be 'eliminated' to clear the road for his subsequent virile 'conquests'......Little has changed since "Dr. No", except the special effects action sequences that seem to be coalescing with 'Transformers...Age of Extinction' with a 'twist' add of 'Atomic Blond' or 'Ghost In The Shell' 'new post-Pussy Galore feminism' .......wherein our newly cinematically-empowered 'females' also kick out teeth and punch 'men' in the gonads......and even our prepubescents are, amusedly, killing Syndrome's henchmen.........What's next......violence in the womb?.....Oh, yes....we've had that already, haven't we Dr. Giggles? [And, to think.....I had such a beautiful day yesterday......taking old 'stuff' to charity thrifts for donation to 'good' causes.....and 'running into' 4 old, gentle, friends ....out 'thrifting'........On the return trip home, I resolved to 'give way' to anxious drivers and shoppers.....after all....it was a holiday!......let others that seemed to be in such 'rushes' ahead of me in line at Trader Joe's, giving a big stuffed animal to a crying 3-year old to satisfy its frustration at its' mother's not given it the 'cha-cha heels' that it had demanded at the Tuesday Morning Store, minutes before......By the time I'd arrived 'home' during 'peak Holiday rush hour traffic', and unloaded all the compensatory food that filled my car's trunk, the sky was darkening.....and TV screens were illuminating the windows of houses all around.......I made a 'wet' martini with 3 olives and lit a couple dozen candles, a bit reverentially.......meditating on how grateful I felt that the exigencies of Life remained, for the most part, on the other side of the sidewalk.....as Sicilian Vespers wafted from the old AR's....] Where's my copy of Elvira Madigan, I wonder?
No comments:
Post a Comment