Monday, July 25, 2022

TEN O'CLOCK DOUBLE FEATURE, TRIGGERING MEMORIES OF 'THE FOLK MUSIC TAKEOVER FROM BOY GROUPS IN MATCHING TOGS, PRETENDING TO PLAY GUITARS ON THE ED SULLIVAN SHOW'




watching A MIGHTY WIND, double-billed with INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS, yesterday ....reminded me of the collegiate 'trend' with Folk Music when I was in college........I was not much of a fan, in the early 1960's, of folksy banjo/guitar/autoharp/bass duos and trios, warbling from barstools.... the pre-hippie pop slop that had inundated the airwaves only months before.....Peter, Paul & Mary and the other Pete Seeger, Carolyn Hester and Burl Ives wannabe 'folk singers' of the era......preferring 'less folksy' material for my eardrums........Oh, no....more Jan and Dean stuff at the back of the Line!.... Oscar nailed my more cynical attitude... in the Coen Bros Flick....to a candlewax-covered bistro table, as the little colored girls sang "Kum ba yah" in the pub next door and the ironed, parted and bleached blonde Mary Travers imitators frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honalee.....What would be next?.....a green muppet frog singing 'Rainbow Connection'? But....then.....in retrospect.....all that innocuousness was far more palatable than Gunna's 'P Power' on a chicken biscuit. I suppose.....


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSwO-k-RqNA

No comments: