Tuesday, June 9, 2009

MORE AMERICANS ARE THEISTS!




Sigmund Freud stated that " Devout believers are safeguarded to a high degree against the risk of certain neurotic illnesses; their acceptance of the universal neurosis spares them the task of constructing a personal one." I was just reading the results of polls of "belief systems" and discovered, almost shockingly, that more Americans believe in hocus-pocus than the rest of the World......Who'd a thought it! So...why are Americans so neurotic? Possibly, the delusional systems that govern their behavior are not effective enough rationalizations for people who were taught to think for themselves as well as to obey the Law..... I received an e-mail from a cousin, one who was.....a few years ago....not a religious person....but, who asked everyone in her address book to "pray" to God for the remission of the cancer that is destroying her husband's life.......I suggested that she get a better doctor and that years of chain smoking, drinking and bad diet, may just be having their payoff........yes, yes...I know this was insensitive and tactless.......but I am just a pragmatic sort, who believes that Life is the sum of its parts, and that when you abuse your body for most of it, it is not likely that you will die quietly in sleep after a pleasant day at the beach, walking with your beloved and the dog.....(of course....those may be the same)....It's too late to whine about the injustices of Fate when it is clear that you have made all the wrong decisions.... I deliberately avoided the use of one....what's wrong with you? One should use some common sense when living "his" life......! I guess God's the fix-it guy.....people are always sending it last minute requests and desperate importunings when, after a lifetime of opportunities to wrangle their existence into some riderless vehicle to an imagined Utopian community "out there"...they discover, in their deepest sense of Reality, that they've saddled a ghost.....and are going Nowhere....... This kind of talk ruffles the downy shoulders of just-hatched beings, but I really don't give a fig, to be honest, cause I'm an impolitic guy that is just miffed by idiocy, who consistently lacks sympathy for those who continually make the same errors in judgment and who must then suffer the straits of Reality while enduring the mindless dogmatic philosophies of the 95%........

...


No comments: