Tuesday, February 25, 2025

THE LAST CORRESPONDENCE BETWEEN NANCY ROBINSON ( September 24th, 1945 - Tuesday, April 11, 2023 ) AND I......WITH LOTS OF ATTENTION TO 'DOLL' FOR UNKNOWN REASONS....








NANCY:  "The cabin is oh so wonderful. Reed, I too took dance from Miss Hazel, no
relation of mine. Remember that school where we all lined up to go through
the steps. A sad memory for me, I was so sick with the measles and couldn't
be in the recital. My butterfly and heart costume hung in my room like the
ugly stepsisters who couldn't attend the ball.
Does little Bunnie Fou-Fou hop through the forest scooping up field mice?
You in the tiara, what won't you come up with next? Do you remember Miss
Dorothy Adair the wandering music teach? Well I found her a Sommersby in
Hsv. She has an apt there. I was with Kathrin Hilten and there was Miss D
with whom I had a bone to pick. More than life itself I wanted to be the
conductor at the Gold Smith Schiffman Field concert and that darn Doll Purty
got the job. I am still mad. Her sister Loretta is the Mayor of Hsv and has
been for a number of years. She is quite smart. Doll did a good job but
that's beside the point.....and what kind of name is Doll? Her real name is
Patricia Anne and I think after these many years she should be called Pat.
I am going away and get something done that will help me get ready for my
friend's visit. Anne is coming from LA en route to NC and I am so glad. On
Friday I am going to Hsv and have lunch with Mother and drive Anne all
around. By the way my good friend Roger Van Fleteren is moving to Atlanta to
be with the ballet. He is great and I will miss him. Miss you, Nancy"


ME:   "i vaguely remember doll purdy giving an amusing lecture demonstration, in 7th grade at HJrH, on embalming.......it was hard to keep a straight face, unless you were dead.......i do remember the measles.....also....i remember making you a little sword from a straight pin, a piece of braiding and some old beads.........and that, at blossomwood, the one year we attended......zigi debus was the only girl with breasts.....and i stuck a lead pencil in my thigh during math class......the piece of lead, just this year, finally worked its way to the surface and fell out in my hand.......i remember larry maples flashing his genitals to some girls in the back of class in 9th grade........and i remember ms. gately tossing me from class, in 8th grade, and paddling me for telling her i did'nt believe in God and refused to bow my head in prayer with the rest of the class..........so many tidbits.......how much more important they were THEN!   and sneaking off to the Grand Theater, to see some trashy ida lupino film after telling my parents that i was going to Bambi at the Lyric.....  and the Central, with old bela lugosi flics........i never went to the Elks, however.......but i don'[t remember why.     and the one-armed swimming instructor at the YMCA.......i was terrified of him.   ....."


NANCY:  "You and I didn’t have very many classes together after Blossomwood.  I don’t remember the lead in your leg and I missed the lecture from Laughlin funeral home by Doll. Her brother Johnny is now the person who used to be Doll’s dad. Doll moved to Chattanooga forever ago and is married to Jimmy Buckner. She was in a car wreck some long years ago and had lots of reconstructive plastic surgery on her face. It was odd that she looked like someone else but had Doll’s voice. She never visits Huntsville."

No comments: