Sunday, November 6, 2016

SEASON 14 of PROJECT RUNWAY DIATRIBE.......




I stopped taking 'FASHION" 'seriously' when I worked for Saks 5th Ave.....the year it introduced shiny, polyester double-knits, ready-to-shag....or is that 'snag', bell-bottomed pants and Nik-Nik shirts......taking tips from Bernard Berenson and R. G. Collingwood, I was idealistic enough to believe that Beauty should trump Fashion-ability......Except for my beloved turquoise, double-breasted linen Pucci tuxedo......and that...someday, we would discover a timeless aesthetic......... The adjective "Timeless" is so over-used, suggesting that the fashion of the moment would have any appeal a couple of years....or decades....or centuries .later......I love the uncategorizable.....thinks that avoid taking their 'place' in the continuum of manipulated glamorous ambitions....... Watching the finale of Project Runway, I put on my 'pure aesthetic' mindset.......and wasn't very satisfied with its Finale......Ashley's outfits were a snoozefest....(although I really liked her flowers for the bride hats).....Kelly's disco outfits and glamazon shoes....pleeze!...(and I really, really like her evolution, nevertheless).....My two pics to win, unfortunately were the first of the four to exit the runway......Candace, having been talked out of her original presentation........(shame on the judges.....)....and showing a third-string gown that even I didn't love......{Christian Seriano got away with his fabulous gowns, didn't he?.....so what's going on here!}.....and Edmond, with his naive retro-30's-70's posturings!.....blew it with his ScapBig Chicken look, tripping over Schiaparelli, Worth and all the other detritus of Fashion's Past........I'd have given the 'Win" to Candace....if she had stuck to her original plan.......Congratulations, anyway, to Ashley.....I'm looking forward to seeing her clothing on the Simply Be website....Not!

No comments: