Saturday, December 28, 2024

DONALD DAVIDSON, AN ENGLISH PROFESSOR AT VANDERBILT, WROTE THIS BOOK 'ON AMERICAN COMPOSITION AND RHETORIC'.....WHICH INIATED MY PERSISTENTLY CRITICAL ASSESSMENT OF COLLOQUIAL LANGUAGE USAGE......


 

MY NOMINATIONS TO THE AMERICAN LANGUAGE ACADEMY FOR MOST UNTHINKINGLY AUTOMATIC EXPRESSIONS:

"thank you for having me"/"thank you very much"; "to tell the truth"; "that's a good question"; "nice!"; "well, uh"; "if you know what I mean"/ "you know"/"know what I'm sayin'"; "uh, huh"; "think outside the box"; the General usage of "Emojis", replacing intelligently expressed thoughts and feelings; and "each and every one of you/us"......... David Byrne's advice: "Say nothing, when you having nothing to say....." and stop fantasizing about 'gtn a gd jb wd mo pay'.....I'm certainly not 'hiring'!......I walked out of my first 'real' job, after college......reading and evaluating job applications.....after having declined 90% of the applicants, because they seemed incapable of writing a proper sentence....much lessm an understandable paragraph....and there was no "Jane Austin" to take over my job.......much less, anyone that could write a palindrome, in meter.......What are the millions of kids....out of school, due to Covid......doing...with all this 'spare time'......Not likely: improving language and writing skills: Likely: thumbing through 'games' and abbreviating some shallow depths on mobile phones...or just watching the Boob Tube ...Read some Schrodinger and Heisenberg...then, write a 100 page paper on what you think they're talking about, perhaps.......Well, the 1/10th of the 1% who 'have the time or inclination'........For the rest.....there's always '20 words or less' 'Twittering', I suppose......and jobs at Popeye's drive-through windows......This 'self-help' book is still available.....

No comments: